On the advice of a former Real Estate Agent friend, I decided to interview three potential agents. The list of questions below was critical to the success of the project. The second agent I interviewed anticipated most of them, and had all the answers in hand when she arrived.
20 Questions to Ask a Real Estate Agent
The person you choose will be involved in preparing your home for sale, establishing a listing price, marketing your property, and ultimately negotiating the transaction on your behalf to a successful conclusion. Since all real estate agents are not the same in terms of talent and ability, it is to your advantage to ask questions before hiring one. Here are 20 important questions any agent worth his or her salt should be prepared to answer:
- How long have you been a real estate agent and are you also a Realtor?
- Is your license in good standing?Qm? If so, what were the circumstances?
- Do you own your own home? Where?
- Do you work full-time or part-time as a real estate agent?
- In what price range do you generally sell most of your homes?
- In which neighborhoods do you have most of your listings?
- How many sales (within a 2-mile radius) did you complete last year? How many in the last two years?
- What is your average list-price to sell-price ratio?
- On average, how long (number of days) does it take for your listings to sell?
- Can you provide me with the names and phone numbers of past clients who have agreed to be a reference to you?
- Will I be working with you directly or handed off to someone else? In other words, will you handle all aspects of my transaction or will you delegate some tasks to a sales associate or administrative assistant?
- How long is your listing agreement period?
- What happens if I’m not satisfied with the job you’re doing to get my house sold?
- How often will you communicate with me and how?
- What price do you advise listing my house for?
- How will you market the house? (Ask to see sample materials)
- Why should I hire you over the competition?
- What haven’t I asked you that I need to know?